Help With Free Tax Preparation 


Free Tax Preparation - Video


Help with Low Income Tax Preparation

IRS recommended programs for free e-filing - For families with income less than $56,000 per year.


IRS Website - Or, call or walk-in to local IRS office and request assistance from a volunteer tax preparer.


IRS Local Contacts


Information and Referral Site - For community services in your area. Or, dial ‘2-1-1’ from your phone  (no area code or other numbers needed if there is a local phone service).


Local resource for income tax assistance. Click on local organization name to bring up local website address.  Navigate website to find providers for income tax assistance.  Note:  This organization is affiliated with United Way.

Contact local or state government treasury department to see if they have assistance in preparing tax returns.


AARP – Volunteers at senior centers and libraries across the country – primarily for senior citizens (50+).  You do not need to be an AARP member to receive help.


Libraries – check with your local library


Note:  For complicated tax returns you may need to retain a professional tax preparer – pay for the service.




Preparers will be on base/post facilities

1. If deployed right now or about to be deployed there is an extension to file for 180 days after the return.  You must notify the IRS.  You can notify them by email at: or in writing.  Do not include Social Security Number in an email.  This extension applies to non-combat spouse as well.

2. Notifying the IRS by E-Mail about Combat Zone Service